March 2019 Climate Data for Memphis, TN

,

March Climate Recap

Carrying over from the end of February, March started much colder than average with the first week averaging over 15 degrees below normal. Snow flurries even flew on the 4th as high temperatures didn’t crack the freezing mark. A warming trend occurred during the second week bring temperatures back to near average before highs reached the mid 70s mid-month for a couple of days. Thunderstorms accompanied a cold front that dropped temperatures back to just below average for over a week once again. The final week of the month saw variable conditions with highs ranging from the 50s to 70s and a few rounds of thunderstorms.

The second half of the month was drier than the first. The last sub-freezing temperature occurred on the 7th. Overall, temperatures were well below normal for the month and precipitation was also moderately below normal. There was a trace of snowfall on the 4th.

The March temperature anomalies (departure from average) shows very cool conditions occurred across most of the U.S., coolest in the Northern Rockies and Plains. (WeatherBell)

As far as severe weather, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings were issued across north MS on the 9th and 14th and Tornado Warnings were issued well east of the metro. Another Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued on the 25th for the norther metro. Wind damage occurred in Shelby County with storms on the 9th and 14th  (trees down). There was one injury reported on the 14th as a tree fell onto a home in strong non-thunderstorm wind. Hail was also reported on the 14th in DeSoto County.

Memphis International Airport, Memphis, TN

Temperature
Average temperature: 50.6 degrees (3.4 degrees below average)
Average high temperature: 60.0 degrees (3.9 degrees below average)
Average low temperature: 41.2 degrees (2.9 degrees below average)
Warmest temperature: 75 degrees (28th)
Coolest temperature: 20 degrees (4th)
Heating Degrees Days: 439 (81 above average)
Cooling Degree Days: 0 (17 below average)
Records set or tied: None
Comments: Five days dropped to or below freezing this month, 2 above average. March 4th recorded a high temperature of 31 degrees, the second coldest for that date on record. The low of 20 degrees that morning was the 5th coldest on that date, averaging out to the 3rd coldest March 4th on record.

Precipitation
Monthly total: 4.12″ (1.04″ below average)
Days with measurable precipitation: 11 (0.5 days above average)
Wettest 24-hour period: 1.59″ (13th)
Snowfall: Trace (0.4″ below average)
Records set or tied: None
Comments: Three days recorded more than 0.5″ of rain, only one of which was over 1″.

Miscellaneous
Peak wind: Southeast/49 mph (13th)
Average wind: 9.1 mph
Average relative humidity: 62%
Average sky cover: 60%

Click here for a daily statistical recap for Memphis International Airport.

Cirrus Weather Solutions / MemphisWeather.net, Bartlett, TN

Temperature
Average temperature: 49.9 degrees
Average high temperature: 62.0 degrees
Average low temperature: 38.6 degrees
Warmest temperature: 77.3 degrees (28th)
Coolest temperature: 18.  degrees (4th)
Comments: None

Precipitation
Monthly total: 3.94″ (automated rain gauge), 4.09″ (manual CoCoRaHS rain gauge)
Days with measurable precipitation: 10
Wettest date: 1.37″ (13th) (via automated gauge)
Snowfall: None
Comments: None

Miscellaneous
Peak wind: South-southwest/35 mph (9th)
Average relative humidity: 68%
Average barometric pressure: 30.19 in. Hg

Click here for a daily statistical recap for Bartlett, TN.

MWN Forecast Accuracy

MWN average temperature error: 2.02 degrees
MWN forecast temperatures within 2 degrees of actual: 73%
MWN average dewpoint error: 2.69 degrees
MWN forecast dewpoints within 2 degrees of actual: 58%

MWN’s forecasts extend out five periods (2.5 days, or roughly 60 hours). Historical accuracy statistics can be found here.

Climate Outlook – April

The April climate outlook for the United State from the Climate Prediction Center is shown below. After a cold March, temperatures are forecast to jump to above normal for much of the U.S., except portions of Texas. As a result, odds favor overall warm temperatures for Memphis, with a 41% chance of above normal temperatures, a 33% chance of near normal temperatures, and a 26% chance of below normal temperatures. Memphis typically averages 62.9 degrees for the month of April, or nearly 9 degrees warmer than a typical March and 13 degrees warmer than March 2019.

A wet April is forecast for the southwestern and southeastern U.S. with near normal precipitation for most of the rest of the nation. For Memphis, odds favor near normal conditions with a 34% chance of above normal precipitation, a 33% chance of near normal precipitation and only a 33% chance of below average precipitation. April historically averages 5.50″ of precipitation.

—-
Follow MWN on Facebook and Twitter for routine updates and the latest info!
Complete MWN Forecast: MemphisWeather.net on the mobile web or via the MWN mobile app
Download our iPhone or Android apps, featuring StormWatch+ severe weather alerts!

MWN is a NOAA Weather Ready Nation Ambassador Meteorologist Erik Proseus is an NWA Digital Seal Holder

Recent Posts

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments